Prep: 15 mins Cook: 30 mins Serves 4 as a main course or 6 as a side dish
Price per portion: 73p (to serve 4)
Per serving: 669 calories, 32.1g fat, 18g saturates, 1.5g salt
Counts as 3 of your 5-a-day and contains over a third of your RDA of vitamin C, calcium and folic acid
1.2ltrl/2pts vegetable stock
450g/1lb carrots, peeled and sliced
225g/8oz parsnips, peeled, halved and sliced
350g/12oz small new potatoes, halved
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
150g/5oz frozen peas
60ml4tbsp creme fraiche
30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh or 10ml/2tsp dried tarragon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
175g/6oz plain flour
15ml/1tbsp English mustard
75g/3oz cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6. Place the stock in a large pan and bring to the boil, add the carrots, parsnips and new potatoes, cover, return to the boil and simmer for 15mins or until they are tender. Stir in the leeks and peas, return the stock to the boil then remove from the heat.
2. Drain the stock and reserve. Place the vegetables in an ovenproof dish. Discard 300ml/1/2pt of the stock, return the rest to the pan. Mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little cold water and stir into the stock with the creme fraiche and tarragon.
3. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring until you have a smooth creamy sauce. Simmer for 1 min. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and season well.
4. Place all the topping ingredients in a food processor with a good pinch of salt and ground black pepper; whizz together until they resemble fine breadcrumbs. (if you haven’t got a food processor then rub the butter into the flour, then stir in the mustard and cheese and rub together again until you have a crumbly mixture).
5. Scatter the mixture over the top of the vegetables then bake for 20 mins or until the top is golden brown. Serve as a vegetarian main course or vegetable side dish.