This is a healthy and tasty version of our all time favourite the English breakfast. I’ve taken the best bits…crispy bacon, eggs etc and mixed them with a fantastic fresh salad bag of watercress, spinach and rocket. So you can get your classic dish with a healthy twist.
Prep time: 10 mins Cooking time: 10-13mins
4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
100g of new potatoes cooked and halved
15ml/1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 medium eggs
2 handfuls of watercress, rocket and spinach salad
FOR THE DRESSING
100g/4oz of cherry tomatoes, quartered
30ml/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
15ml/1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
15ml/1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
5ml/1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
splash of Tabasco
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Firstly put a large saucepan of water on the boil with the white wine vinegar; this will be used to poach the eggs.
2. Then heat up a frying pan and start to fry the bacon, you want in really crispy; in the same pan also fry the potatoes until golden brown; this in total should take about 10 mins.
3. Meanwhile make the dressing, mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and stir in the quartered cherry tomatoes.
4. By now the water should be coming to a slow boil, with very fine bubbles, this is the time to very gently crack and drop in each egg. Then bring to a rolling boil. The eggs need about 2-3 mins before being taken out and drained.
5. To serve, take a little of the dressing and dress the leaves, then pile on the plate and arrange the crispy bacon, golden potatoes and top with the poached egg. Then drizzle with the remaining dressing.